Friday, March 21, 2008

The Glories of Craig's List

About a month ago, Doug and I made some executive decisions about the landscaping (or lack thereof) in our yard.

First, we planted a rose garden in the front. 7 different varieties. One of my friends who grew up working in a nursery asked what type of roses. To which I answered, "Uhhhh, pretty ones?" Clearly I am new to this. And will take any rose-growing advice that is out there!

Second, we bought 4 fruit trees for the back yard. One apricot, one Gravenstein apple, one apple tree with 4 different types of apples growing from it (thanks to grafting of branches), and one pear tree with 5 different types of pears. I'm really looking forward to the years to come when they bear fruit.

Which leads me to why I like Craig's List so much. The previous owners of our house had surrounded the back yard perimeter with raised flower beds, created with retaining wall bricks. In planting the trees, we knew we'd be taking out the back stretch of bedding to make room for tree growth. And quite honestly, short of planting a vegetable garden, the rest was too much. A very nice place to grow weeds, but those aren't so attractive.


So I counted up the number of bricks we had (around 500), and headed to the internet. Posted on the "Free" section of Craig's List that we were giving these away to anyone who was willing to come and pick them up. Within one hour, 25 people called saying they wanted the bricks. Another 15 emailed me. It was CRAZY! We went with the first guy, Chris, who was able to come out that afternoon. It took him three trips to load them all up. And he lifted every last one of them himself. WOW!

My only mistake in the whole Craig's List experience was leaving the house right after making the posting. So not only was I taking (and then later ignoring) phone calls while on the road, I wasn't able to delete the listing fast enough so people would stop contacting me.

But ALL the bricks are gone. So now the yard is ready for the next step - what ever that might be!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I LOVE Craigslist! We buy stuff, sell stuff, laugh at stuff, but mainly window shop. Get it? WINDOW shop? :)