Sunday, August 2, 2009

On the road, part 2

After leaving CDA, we drove across Montana via I-90 (actually ending inside of Wyoming). And I don't care what anyone says. I think driving across MT is a beatiful road trip. We returned via I-94, and I found both routes just wonderful. Long, but wonderful. Maybe it's the length that people have an issue with. Because I have to tell you, driving across most of SD and ND is okay, but pretty boring after a while, especially in comparison to MT.

Getting back to the first day post-Idaho, toward the end of the day we stopped and the Little Bighorn National Monument. Doug was out here when he was 15, and he remembers it just telling the "white man's" side of the story. Well, in the early 90's the monument added the Native American part of the story. I found it to be a moving monument.

Kate was willing to be held for the briefest of moment, before running to play in the dirt and rocks. She was glad to be out of the car! This is where Custer and his men took their last stand. The markers are where the soldiers fell (the dark one is Custer's).
The iron sculpture was part of the Native American monument.




No comments: