Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Marriage. By Kate and Doug

A transcript of a conversation Kate and Doug had on the drive home from day care one day last week.

“Daddy, when can I get married?”


“When you’re older, Kate.”

“When I’m 10?”

“No Kate, not when you’re 10.”

“Why?”

“Well, 10 is far too young. You want to be have fun being a girl first. When you’re a woman you can get married.”

“When will I be a woman?”

“Well, I guess when you’re older like 21 or so.”

“Whooooaaaah! That’s a long time, daddy. Can I marry you when I’m a woman, daddy?”

“No. I’m married to mommy. You get to marry someone else.”

“But I want to marry you, daddy. I love you.”

“And I love you too. But daddies don’t marry their daughters. Why would you want to marry your dad anyway?”

“Because you’re handsome and smart and funny and good and strong, daddy.”

“Well then, you will find a man some day that is all of those things too.”

“Can I marry Max? He will have all of those things.”

“No. I am sure he will have all of those things. But, sisters can’t marry their brothers either. Max will find a good woman one day and you will find a good man one day and Tray will find a good woman one day and our family will keep getting bigger and better. Doesn’t that sound good?”

“Yeah. … Can I marry Maron and Sion?” (The 2 neighbor girls next door)

“Well, you could marry one of them I guess. Do you like girls?”

“Yep. I like girls and boys. I could marry Sion and Max could marry Maron.”

“Sounds like you have it pretty figured out, then.”

“Could I wear a pink dress?”

“Well most women wear white dresses. Mommy wore a white dress. She was so beautiful that day.”

“But I wanted to wear a pink dress and green boots.”

“Well, when it is your special day, honey. You can wear whatever you want. I’ll be there for you.”

“I love you daddy.”

“I love you too Kate.”

1 comment:

marla said...

That's so sweet!