Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Jetta News

My beloved 2000 VW Jetta is again showing its age.


First, about a week ago I got yet another rock chip in the windshield. As you may recall, my windshield has some sort of magic attraction to small flying objects.


This attack was something special. It didn't just ding the windshield. Or cause an ordinary crack. Nope. The crack forms a near perfect circle around the chip. It's the size of a half-dollar coin! Fortunately, it's near the lower passenger side, as I feel my friends at the repair shop would say this injury is cause for retiring this windshield.


Onto other Jetta news. I am one of those people who, when getting a new item, will read the owner's manual cover-to-cover. And boy, did it come in handy. On Saturday, when it was brutally hot, I opened the sun roof. Decided, when the sun was beating down on me through the sun roof that perhaps a better option would be to close it and begin running the A/C.


However, the roof would not close. I could hear the little electronic mechanism trying, trying so very hard, but to no avail. Little images of cash-registers of money going to the repair shop floated through my head.


Then I remembered that somewhere in the owner's manual, it described how to close the sun roof in just this type of situation. It involved popping a little panel with a screwdriverand using the hidden allen wrench to manually close the roof. I did this not a moment too soon, as it rained that very evening! Crisis averted.


And now, your Kate picture of the day (enjoying having Doug whistle fun little songs to her):

1 comment:

- Joanne O. said...

Oh, they look so much more alike now (except for the facial hair). She's growing into such a cute little girl.