Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Getting caught up

Well, I'll be doing some posting out of order. Life is a bit crazy with the newborn. Kate, while very adorable, has been a bit relucant to learn the art of breastfeeding. Stressful for mom and baby. I think we had a breakthrough today, but I need a few more successful feedings before I stop holding my breath. (Watch out, my face might turn quite purple!)




So, to tide you over, here are a few pictures. I've turned the date-stamp feature from my camera on, so you can see how old she is in each picture.

Well, except for this first one. It's from June 5, for her 1st trip to the pediatrician.

Kate and Doug, taking a nap. I didn't think we'd be pacifier people so soon, but after one night of Kate only being settled by sucking on my pinky finger, that changed. On the other hand, she really hasn't used it much in the last day. Perhaps because of the feeding breakthrough?

Where's Kate?


Girl cousins Abigail and Kate, just hangin out!

2 comments:

McMahan family said...

It took Emma several weeks before really getting the breastfeeding thing. I will go on record as saying that learning how to do it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I don't think we really "got it" and felt comfortable with it until after a full month. I can share other details and tips that worked for us but I'd rather not post them all here. If you're interested, let me know how I can email you (all I have is your JFK email address and I'm not sure if you're still using that). I know you have tons of other friends/family who probably have great advice too.

She is beautiful! I hope you are getting some rest and just enjoying motherhood with your sweet baby girl! :) We're still praying for all of you!

- Joanne O. said...

I agree, breastfeeding was super hard and frustrating for me. There were times I just had to stop and cry because it wasn't working. I did have to supplement with formula, but the lactation nurses gave us a tiny bottle that had a small tube coming out the top. When Wesley was trying to breastfeed, we slipped the tube in his mouth to make sure he was getting something while trying to get the breastfeeding thing down. That way he wasn't sucking out of a bottle, but still feeding off of me (or at least he thought he was). Good luck, it takes lots of patience.

By the way, she is a cutie. She definitely has a girl look about her.